These easy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken breasts are a delicious and easy to make dinner! This keto chicken recipe has a delicious asparagus and mozzarella filling, and is lightly coated in a flavorful almond flour mixture. A delicious baked stuffed chicken recipe!
A Delicious Keto Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Mixing up your meals is essential to sticking to a keto or low carb diet! A little creativity, a little time, and delicious meals like this keto stuffed chicken will get you excited for dinner again.
This Asparagus and Cheese Stuffed Chicken recipe has a great balance of fats/carbs/proteins for the keto diet. I use 4 ounce pieces of chicken that are pounded flat to create the perfect “wrap” for a cheesy asparagus center.
A flavorful coating of almond flour gives these stuffed chicken breasts a delicious golden coating – similar to the coating on fried chicken!
Serve with a simple side salad of greens, nuts, and either berries or tomatoes, and a full meal is ready without any hassle!
How to Make Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
These asparagus stuffed chicken rolls do take a little extra time to put together, but the delicious result is worth it! It’s a beautiful meal to serve, even if you guests are not keto or low carb eaters.
Ingredients in Asparagus and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken breasts, cut into 4 ounce pieces (this is typically 2 large breasts cut in half), and then marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Asparagus, a great low carb veggie packed with nutrients we need!
- Mozzarella cheese, because adding cheese always adds a little fun (and some additional fats to keep this meal satiating).
- Almond flour & egg to give the chicken a light and flavorful coating that browns and crisps up as the chicken bakes!
Putting Together Stuffed Chicken with Cheese
- First, cut chicken into 4 ounce pieces. These keeps the protein low enough to be good for the keto diet. If not following a keto diet, larger portions of chicken can be used.
- Place chicken breasts into a plastic bag, and use a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin to pound chicken into flat discs. This keeps the chicken tender and also helps it roll around the fillings easier.
- Drizzle the flattened chicken breasts with oil, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper, and allow to sit in the seasonings while preparing other parts of your meal.
- Take the chicken breasts, and in the center, add 2 pieces of asparagus, and 1/2 ounce of mozzarella cheese. Roll the chicken from one end to the other to create a wrap around the fillings.
- Add almond flour to a bowl, and beat an egg in another bowl. Dip each chicken roll first into the egg, and then into the almond flour, to give the chicken a light coating. This is a messy process, but just hold the chicken rolls closed, and try to get a little of the coating on both the top and bottom of the chicken. It’s a great way to add extra fats and add flavor to the chicken, but it’s not a perfect process!
- Add the coated chicken roll ups to a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone liner. Spray with avocado oil spray and lightly sprinkle with paprika for a pretty color.
- Bake the stuffed chicken in a 425º F preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is oozing out of the center.
Stuffed Chicken Makes a Fun Keto Meal!
Once your stuffed chicken breasts are baked, the meal is easy to complete!
Try one of these options to add some additional vegetables and healthy fats to complete the meal:
- A simple side salad of greens, berries and nuts, with olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Cauliflower rice, sauteed in butter or avocado oil. Add toasted almonds for a bit more texture!
- Mashed cauliflower made with grass fed butter or ghee.
- Sauteed cabbage, greens like chard, or broccoli
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts in 4 4-ounce pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 8 pieces asparagus ends trimmed
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- Cut chicken breasts into 4 ounce portions.
- Once all pieces of chicken are flattened, marinate the chicken in the olive oil, lemon juice, poultry seasoning and salt. Allow to sit coated in seasonings about 20 minutes or longer.
- Place each piece of chicken in a plastic bag. Use a rolling pin to pound the chicken into a flat piece. Do this gently to keep from tearing the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Take 1 piece of chicken, and add 1/2 ounce of mozzarella and 2 asparagus spears to the center, and then roll the edges into a wrap. Repeat with all 4 pieces of chicken.
- Add almond flour and egg into separate bowls, and beat the egg.
- Gently take each piece of chicken and coat both sides in egg first, and then almond flour. This doesn't need to be done perfectly. It's difficult to coat the chicken and keep the fillings in, but just a little on both sides adds a lot of flavor. Add a bit more almond flour to each chicken breast after adding them to the baking pan.
- Sprinkle stuffed chicken breasts with paprika, if desired, and then bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is oozing out of the roll ups.
- Serve immediately, or store in air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.