A healthy avocado salsa recipe with jicama for extra crunch! This is the perfect low carb or keto topping for chicken, pork, or these delicious zucchini salmon patties.
A Delicious Avocado Salsa Recipe
When I made these healthy keto salmon patties a few months past, I wanted a low carb topping that would add some zip and spicy, and also turn them into a full keto dinner.
This salsa was the perfect combination. I love jicama for it’s subtle earthiness, and it adds the best crunch to an avocado recipe that would otherwise be mostly soft and creamy. The crunch, spicy, tangy lime juice and creamy, rich avocado meld into the perfect topping, great for grilled meats or seafood.
Ingredients for Keto Avocado Salsa
- Avocados – try to get them ripe, but not overripe, especially if you don’t plan on eating the whole salsa recipe in one day.
- Jicama – this healthy low carb veggie has a texture that’s a cross between watermelon and a potato (weird sounding – but trust me, it’s delicious!), and a lightly sweet flavor. It’s a brown root vegetable popular in Mexico, so if you don’t see it at your regular grocers, try a store that carries a lot of Mexican imports.
- Red Onion – Definitely skip the onion if you don’t like it or don’t keep it in the house, but just a little bit adds a lot of flavor (and beautiful color!) to this dish. Onions have powerful antioxidants, and are high in B vitamins and vitamin C. Working a little into your diet will only have positive health benefits!
- Cilantro – Always add green herbs to dishes if you have them on hand! They are nutrient packed, as well as adding great, fresh flavor.
- Lime Juice, Salt & Cumin – Flavor enhancers. Add more or less, to taste!
How to Make Avocado Jicama Salsa
This recipe couldn’t be simpler!
The time consuming part is chopping the vegetables, but it makes a large batch that can be used for several days to freshen up and add some flavor to your meals
- Peel and chop the jicama in small cubes.
- Cut the avocado, and cut it into chunks.
- Chop the onion, cilantro and jalapeno finely.
- Add the jicama, avocado, cilantro and onion to taste, and mix together.
- Season the vegetables with salt, cumin and lime juice. Add more to taste.
- Add the jalapenos into the mix slowly. Depending on how spicy your jalapeno is, and how spicy you like your food, you will need more or less.
How to Use Avocado Jicama Salsa in Keto Meals
This salsa is so good, you might just eat it off a spoon.
In fact. it’s a healthy keto snack all on it’s own.
I like to scoop this up with my homemade almond flour crackers.
It’s divine as a topping on these healthy keto salmon patties.
Avocado salsa is also the perfect way to add some zip and spicy to salads, or on top of grilled vegetables or meats.
- 2 avocados peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup jicama peeled and diced finely
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeno to taste
- Add the chopped avocado, jicama, cilantro, lime juice, onion, salt and cumin to a bowl, and mix gently to combine.
- Taste, and adjust salt and lime juice to taste.
- Add jalapeno to taste, and mix to combine. The heat of jalapenos varies greatly, so I like to start small and add, keeping in mind that the oils in the peppers will be released and the spiciness will increase after a few hours.
- Serve as a topping to meats or salads, or as a dip for thinly sliced veggies or almond flour crackers.