Making lettuce wrapped burgers is a great way to enjoy a sandwich on a keto or low carb diet. This turkey lettuce wrap is made with turkey burgers, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, and onions. It’s a great meal any time of the day!
The BEST Turkey Burger Lettuce Wraps
If you’re missing sandwiches on a low carb or keto diet, these are guaranteed to fit the bill for you.
The fillings are the best part anyway, and using crunchy chunks of iceberg lettuce is refreshing and super satisfying.
I love turkey burgers, so to add some fat, and loads of flavor to these, I added avocado, bacon, tomatoes and red onions. I also love to have marinated onions to add, or white cheddar cheese.
However you choose to top it, you’ll end up with the perfect keto friendly burger!
Ingredients in Lettuce Wrap Burgers
- Turkey Burgers – sub beef, chicken, or even salmon fillets here!
- Bacon – a great way to add a little fat!
- Avocado or guacamole (I also like to add jalapeños if I have them on hand)
- Cheese (optional) – choose your favorites here, but I love white cheddar or pepperjack!
- Thinly sliced red onions – yes, onions are high in carbs, but they have a ton of health benefits, so in small amounts they are fine.
- Iceberg Lettuce – go ahead and use a more nutritious leaf or romaine lettuce if you must, but the crunch and freshness of iceberg is delicious here!
- Sauces – mayonnaise, sugar free dijon mustard, or a small amount of sugar free ketchup all work here!
How to Make Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- First, prepare burgers by pan frying or grilling them. Also cook your bacon until crisp.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare your “buns” by slicing off the edges of the lettuce, in a bun shape. Look at the photo if you’re confused by what this means!
- The fun part — toppings! Slice some avocado, tomato, onions, or jalapenos, and decide if you’re feeling cheesy. Pick some keto-friendly, preferable high fat sauces to add. Even just adding a drizzle of an olive oil vinaigrette is great here!
- Load it up! Lettuce bun, burger, all the toppings, and a lettuce bun on top!
Variations on Lettuce Wrap Burgers
Whatever you love on a burger, you can throw onto a lettuce wrap!
Try beef, bison, pork, or even salmon filets in place of the turkey burgers. I have been buying frozen turkey burgers to keep in the freezer and they make a great shortcut to a low carb meal when I am too busy to plan.
Use sugar free sauces, like dijon mustard, mayo, keto friendly ranch, or sugar free ketchup.
Spice it up with pepperjack cheese, jalapeños, or salsa.
Go gourmet with bleu cheese, grilled peppers, mushrooms, marinated artichoke hearts, or pickles or pickled vegetables.
Lettuce Wrap BurgersPrint Pin Rate
- 2 turkey burgers *I used Applegate frozen organic turkey burgers
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices red onion optional
- mustard or mayo to taste
- Prepare turkey burgers by pan frying them over medium heat for about 7 minutes per side. Season to taste. I use salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cut the edges off a whole head of iceberg lettuce in "bun" shapes.
- Load up lettuce "bun" with sauces, turkey burgers, bacon, and toppings. Top with another lettuce "bun."