This Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice skillet is the perfect option when you’re tired of salads! Cauliflower rice is sautéed with tomatoes and spices. Top this keto cauliflower rice recipe with cheese, olives, and avocados to add some healthy fats. It’s great served with chicken, shrimp, or sliced steak to complete the meal!
My Favorite Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Having meals that mimic your high-carb favorites help sticking to a low carb diet easier!
Cauliflower rice is a great stand-in for grains, and soaks up flavors of saucy dishes. Sauté the cauliflower rice with spices and veggies, and top it with delicious healthy fats, like cheese, avocado, and olives (sour cream is great here, too!), and a crave-worthy but healthy meal is formed.
Play with this recipe and make it your own! Varying the toppings, or adding different proteins, makes this meal feel new.
It’s fast to make and because the ingredients are simple, it’s easy to keep them on hand.
You can use fresh cauliflower rice – there’s a great tutorial here on how to make cauliflower rice. I’ve found that I am just as happy with frozen packets of cauliflower rice so I always have those in my freezer to make meals like this a snap.
If you’re wondering if cauliflower rice is keto friendly, it definitely is, and is recommended! Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, meaning it packs in lots of anti- cancer benefits. It can be hard to hit fiber requirements on a keto diet, and cauliflower is a great way to help hit the recommended 21 to 25 grams a day.
How to Make this Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet
Step 1: In a skillet, add avocado oil, onions, and bell peppers. Saute over medium heat for about 7 minutes until softened.
Step 2: Add blended tomatoes (or buy crushed tomatoes and use instead of diced tomatoes), salt, and spices, and let simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
Step 3: Add the cauliflower rice. If using frozen cauliflower rice, put a lid on the pan for about 10 minutes to allow it to defrost before mixing it into the vegetable mixture. If using fresh cauliflower rice, just mix it in and saute it for about 7-10 minutes, until hot throughout.
Step 4: Top the “rice” with cheese and olives, and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts. Reduce the heat to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
Step 5: The fun part, garnishes! We love to add sliced avocados and lots of fresh cilantro. Add whatever low-carb toppings that inspire you — sour cream would be great here too! Limes and hot sauce add great flavor. If your family has different tastes, leave the toppings on the side and let everyone dress up their own Mexican cauliflower rice.
Tips & Variations for Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Add Protein: Prior to making this skillet, brown pieces of chicken, shrimp, or cook a steak in the skillet. Remove the meat from the pan and let it rest while preparing the cauliflower rice recipe. Make it even simpler by serving this with a rotisserie chicken or leftover protein from another meal.
Lower the Carbs: If you’re just beginning keto, or have lower carb needs, use half the can of tomatoes. The carbs in this dish are from vegetables, so are beneficial even in a very low carb diet!
Mix up the Veggies: You can use chopped carrots, mushrooms, or even small amounts of snap peas in this recipe. If you have higher carb needs, this is delicious with corn cut from the cob.
Other Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Cauliflower Keto Pizza Crust
- Keto Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Try this recipe? Be sure to share your cooking with me on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, and tag @BlissfullyLowCarb !
Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes blended into a smooth puree (or use crushed tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- In a skillet, add avocado oil, onions, and bell peppers. Saute over medium heat for about 7 minutes until softened.
- Add blended tomatoes (or buy crushed tomatoes and use instead of diced tomatoes), salt, and spices, and let simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Add the cauliflower rice. If using frozen cauliflower rice, put a lid on the pan for about 10 minutes to allow it to defrost before mixing it into the vegetable mixture. If using fresh cauliflower rice, just mix it in and saute it for about 7-10 minutes, until hot throughout.
- Top the "rice" with cheese and olives, and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts. Reduce the heat to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
- Garnish the cauliflower rice with chopped avocados and cilantro.
Leave a Reply