A healthy low carb and Keto Cauliflower Soup recipe, made ultra creamy with macadamia nuts. This healthy keto soup is best served with toppings, like bacon, cheese and jalapenos. Freeze leftovers for easy meals!
The BEST Keto Cauliflower Soup
I’m newly in love with cauliflower soup! Pureed vegetable soups are not only packed with water and fiber – ingredients that provide nutrition and help keep us full with low calories – they are also great comfort food.
Eating my first bowl of these creamy low carb cauliflower soup, I knew it was destined to be topped similar to a baked potato soup. Crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos. These toppings not only up the delicious factor, they also give this soup a bit of protein to make it a more balanced keto meal.
I try not to overload my day with dairy, so this soup is made with creamy, smooth macadamia nut milk rather than heavy cream. This lends the best creamy flavor, leaving the soup itself dairy free. If you follow a dairy free keto diet, simply omit the cheese on top of this soup and add a few extra bacon crumbles!
Ingredients in this Keto Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- Garlic (don’t worry about the carbs here – it’s just a little spread out into many bowls of delicious soup!).
- Avocado oil (a great high heat oil for roasting).
- Macadamia nuts (these are soaked and pureed, similar to making a macadamic nut milk. Macadamia nuts are high in healthy fats and very low in carbs).
- Jalapenos, lemon juice, and thyme, to give this soup a delicious flavor.
- Vegetable Broth
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- First, add macadamia nuts to a jar and cover with water. Allow to sit for 24 hours to soften. You can speed up this process but pouring boiling water over the nuts and allowing them to soften for at least an hour. Using a high speed blender will also allow for a shorter soaking time.
- Second, chop cauliflower roughly, and add it to a baking tray along with peeled cloves of garlic. Drizzle the vegetables with avocado oil, and generously season the cauliflower with salt and pepper. Roast the cauliflower until its soft and starting to turn golden brown around the edges.
- In a large soup pot, add the rest of the avocado oil, plus the chopped jalapeno, and saute until softened.
- Add the roasted vegetables, along with the soaked and drained macadamia nuts to a blender. Add half the vegetable broth, and puree until very smooth and creamy. I usually do this step in 2 batches, since it won’t all fit in the blender at once.
- Pour the pureed cauliflower soup into the soup pot along with the jalapenos.
- Season the soup with lemon juice and thyme. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- This soup is best served with toppings! We love bacon, cheddar cheese, and extra jalapeno slices.
How to Serve Low Carb Cauliflower Soup
This soup makes a wonderful side dish all on it’s own. I love fresh herbs on my soups to give them a bright, fresh finish (so necessary when it’s dark and gloomy out!). A few sprinkles of fresh thyme, chopped green onions, or Italian parsley are all great additions to this soup.
A Fully Loaded Keto Soup
Eating this creamy soup reminds me so much of a pureed potato soup. I knew toppings were mandatory!
We used bacon, cheese and jalapeños, but feel free to experiment and try these additional suggestions:
- Crisp bacon crumbles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced jalapeños
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Toasted Pumpkin seeds to add a nice crunch!
Keto Cauliflower Soup
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts soaked overnight
- 2 heads cauliflower about 14 cups florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and whole
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 jalapeno minced finely
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- cheddar cheese shredded
- green onions thinly sliced
- jalapenos thinly sliced
- Soak macadamia nuts in water for 24 hours. If time doesn't allow, pour boiling water over macadamia nuts, and allow to soak for at least an hour. A high speed blender also helps shorten the necessary soaking time. Drain macadamia nuts prior to adding them to the soup.
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Add cauliflower and peeled garlic cloves to a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons avocado oil, and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Roast cauliflower and garlic in the oven for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower has started to brown around the edges.Roast cauliflower and garlic in the oven for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower has started to brown around the edges.
- In a large soup pot, add the rest of the avocado oil, and heat over medium heat. Saute jalapeno until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add half of the roasted vegetables to the blender, along with half of the soaked and drained macadamia nuts, half of the water, and half of the vegetable bouillon. Puree until very smooth, and then pour into the soup pot along with the jalapenos.
- Repeat with the rest of the roasted vegetables, water, macadamia nuts, and vegetable bouillon, and pour into the soup pot.
- Season the soup with lemon juice and thyme, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the soup through until it begins to simmer, and then serve with toppings, as desired.