Delicious keto Meatballs, kept moist and juicy with shredded zucchini! These healthy meatballs are perfect simmered with marinara sauce and topped with parmesan cheese. 3 NET CARBS per serving
Delicious Zucchini Meatballs
Beat salad boredom with this delicious keto “spaghetti” and meatballs recipe!
It’s fun to mix up the normal meat & veggies routine on a low carb or keto diet. This recipe uses healthy, low carb ingredients, to make a classic comfort food meal.
Skip the breadcrumbs, and add nutrient-dense zucchini! Honestly, your family won’t even know the difference, and it’s a healthier meal everyone will enjoy.
It’s always a bonus when you can cook 1 meal for the whole family.
What You Need
- Grass-fed Beef (I use 80/20, and always recommend grass-fed beef – it’s higher in omega 3s)
- Zucchini (Use the fine grate to make small shreds)
- Onion & Garlic (delicious flavor!)
- Sea Salt, Pepper and Italian Herbs (use fresh herbs if you have them! Or dried Italian seasoning).
- Almond Flour
- Parmesan Cheese (can omit for dairy free option!)
Are Meatballs Keto?
A standard meatball recipe uses breadcrumbs, or breadcrumbs soaked in milk, to keep meatballs tender.
This recipe forgoes the carbs, and uses nutrient-dense zucchini to provide moisture! The result is tender, flavorful meatballs, with more nutrition and lower carbs!
Zucchini meatballs are a great choice for keto and low carb diets.
How to Make Keto Meatballs
Step 1: Add all ingredients into a bowl (except oil), and mix well to combine.
Step 2: Form meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs. I make 16-20 with this recipe.
Step 3: Add avocado oil to a skillet over medium high heat, and add meatballs. Brown on 1 side, then gently turn meatballs and allow them to brown on all sides.
Step 4: Add marinara sauce, and simmer until the sauce and the meatballs are heated throughout.
Step 6: Top noodles of choice with meatballs and marinara, and garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired!
How to Cook Meatballs in an Air Fryer
Step 1: Preheat air fryer to 390º F.
Step 2: Air fry meatballs for 11-12 minutes, until crisp and caramelized on the exterior, and cooked through. The interior temp should be 135º F. If you’re new to using an air fryer, you might want to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, until you understand how your machine cooks.
FAQ & How to Serve Meatballs
How to Store Leftovers: Add meatballs to an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze: These meatballs freeze great and are perfect for meal prep! Add cooked meatballs to a freezer safe container, and freeze up to 3 months. Allow to thaw, and reheat in a skillet to warm throughout.
How to Serve Meatballs:
- Over Zoodles with Marinara Sauce & Parmesan Cheese (zucchini noodles)
- On a bed of cauliflower rice.
- With Pesto Spaghetti Squash (or just on plain roasted spaghetti squash!)
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef or use 1/2 beef, 1/2 ground pork
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese optional
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs dried, or 1/4 cup fresh parsley and basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, add all meatball ingredients (except oil). Stir until well combined.
- Form golf-ball sized meatballs. This should be about 16 meatballs.
- Add avocado oil to a skillet over medium high heat, and add meatballs. Allow one side to caramelize, then roll meatballs over to brown all sides and cook through.
- If desired, add marinara sauce and simmer until heated through.