Live the low carb dream with this healthy, Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie. Made with a base of vegetables, it’s rich and creamy and satisfies every chocolate craving! Modify the protein types and amounts based on your needs!
7 Grams Net Carbs
Low carb smoothies are the perfect pick-me-up or meal replacement! Also try this Keto Acai Smoothie or my favorite Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie.
The Peanut Butter Protein Shake of my DREAMS!
If you’re like me, you prefer your smoothies so THICK you have to eat them with a spoon.
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie is the consistency of soft serve ice cream!
It’s high in protein, low in carbs, and absolutely a dream come true. It’s spoonable, like a Wendy’s Frosty!
Low carb and high protein diets can be difficult to stick to. It’s often not an issue of motivation, it’s time! Defrosting, preparing, and serving meats 3 times a day is time consuming. Busy schedules derail the best intentions!
In an effort to make sure I am hitting my protein needs, I have developed this new Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie recipe. It has a dreamy, thick texture, gets plenty of creamy healthy fats from the peanut butter, and packs in 40 grams of protein!
What You’ll Need
- Peanut Butter (unsweetened, or SunButter No Sugar Added for a lower carb, nut free version! If your PB is unsalted, I recommend adding a pinch of salt to the smoothie!)
- Zucchini (chopped and frozen)
- Cacao Powder (or natural cocoa powder, unsweetened!)
- Monk Fruit Sweetener (this is my favorite keto sweetener. Use discount code BLISSFULLYLOWCARB for 20% off your first order!)
- Almond Milk (unsweetened, or coconut milk)
- Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Whey Protein Powder (or zero carb protein powder of choice, unsweetened)
- Collagen Protein (unsweetened)
How to Make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
Step 1: Add the frozen zucchini, ice, cacao powder, peanut butter (or sunflower butter!), sweetener, vanilla, almond milk, and proteins, into a blender.
Step 2: Process until very smooth. I use my blender’s tamper stick to press the ingredients down into the blade so it will blend thick without adding more liquid. Add more liquid if necessary, or based on desired consistency.
FAQ & Variations
Keep this shake high in protein by using quality protein powders.
I love using a combination of whey protein isolate (mine is unflavored, has 0 carbs, and is made with grass-fed whey) and collagen protein. Collagen has many health benefits, but isn’t a complete protein, so I like to consume it with another source of protein.
This smoothie can be plant based, vegan, and dairy free if you use vegan protein powders. Be careful of carb counts in plant based powders, if you’d like to keep this low in carbs.
Can I freeze this or make it ahead of time?
I prefer to enjoy smoothies right after they’ve been made, when they have the best texture, but that isn’t always an option!
One option is to add all the ingredients, except the almond milk, to plastic bags, and freeze until ready to enjoy. Then you just dump the bag with all the ingredients into a blender, add the milk, and blend it up.
You can also make the smoothies and freeze them in individual cups (I save my iced coffee cups for this). Pull out of the freezer 1-2 hours before enjoying.
Can I make a Keto Chocolate Smoothie without peanut butter, nut free?
Yes! I love making this keto chocolate smoothie with sunflower seed butter (I use the No Sugar Added variety with salt). The salty flavor in incredible and it gives the smoothie the same creamy consistency!
You can also use almond butter or cashew butter!
Can I lower the carbs?
Peanut butter is the largest source of carbs in this smoothie recipe. Subbing sunflower seed butter or almond butter reduced the carbs by 3-4 grams.
Other Low Carb Keto Chocolate Recipes
- Keto Avocado Chocolate Pudding
- Keto Double Chocolate Muffins
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Chip Mint Smoothie
Try this recipe? Be sure to share your cooking with me on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, and tag @BlissfullyLowCarb !
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1 cups zucchini chopped and frozen
- 1/2 cup ice optional (makes it thicker)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or natural cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter unsweetened (or sub sunflower seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon monk fruit sweetener or sweetener or choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla optional
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 20 grams whey protein powder more or less, based on protein needs
- 10 grams collagen protein powder more or less, based on protein needs
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and process until very smooth.
- Adjust the thickness by adding more milk, if desired.
- Drizzle with extra peanut butter to serve!
Leave a Reply